Key features of AWS EC2 service
Welcome to CloudAffaire and this is Debjeet.
In the last three blogs we have created our AWS account, created an instance and connected to it. If you don’t have an instance in AWS yet, please follow below link to create one for free.
In this blog post, we are going to discuss the key features of AWS EC2 service
Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud or EC2 provides scalable computing capacity in the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud. Using Amazon EC2 eliminates your need to invest in hardware up front, so you can develop and deploy applications faster.
You can use Amazon EC2 to launch as many or as few virtual servers as you need, configure security and networking, and manage storage. Amazon EC2 enables you to scale up or down to handle changes in requirements or spikes in popularity, reducing your need to forecast traffic.
key features of AWS EC2 service:
- EC2 provides you a platform to host your server in the cloud. Servers are called instance in AWS. Since they are hosted in the cloud, you can connect to your instance from anywhere and anytime
- An instance is created from a pre-configured template of OS and applications known as AMI or Amazon Machine Image. This reduces the need to go through all the setup for application post OS deployment and reduces the total deployment time for instances
- EC2 provides multiple types of instances with different CPU, memory and network configuration know as an instance type. This helps you to choose the correct instance for your CPU, memory and network need.
- EC2 provides Key Pair for your instance security. When you create your instance, you must create one Key Pair if you do not have one already. The public key is kept by AWS and the private key is given to you. Without this private key, no one can access your instance.
- EC2 provides IAM roles for your instances access management where you can assign IAM roles to an account for more granular access management.
- You can also define a firewall for your instance using security groups
- EC2 provides several types of storage solution for your instance depending upon performance and persistence. Instance store volumes are used for temporary data and are lost when your instance is stopped or terminated. For persistent storage, you can choose Elastic Block Storage or EBS.
- When you first create your EC2 instance, AWS allocates one optional public IP address and one private IP address to your instance. But public IP address is dynamic and can be changed if your instance is stopped or rebooted. For a static public IP address, you can use an Elastic IP address
- AWS cloud span across different continent and countries. You can choose your instance location using regions and availability zones.
- VPC or Virtual Private Cloud can be used to logically isolate your instance from the rest of the AWS cloud infrastructure, you can create your own Virtual Privet Cloud or VPC
EC2 is one of the core services of AWS service offering and provides tons of features to fully leverage cloud computing according to your need. For more details, you can always go through the AWS documentation by following below link
Hope you have enjoyed this article. In the next blog post, we are going to cover different key components of EC2 services