In-Place Conversion for SAP BW/4HANA: What You Need to Know
SAP BW/4HANA is SAP’s next generation data warehouse solution that is entirely built on SAP HANA database. It offers many benefits such as simplified data models, faster performance, advanced analytics and cloud readiness. If you are an existing SAP BW customer, you might be wondering how to migrate your current system to SAP BW/4HANA and what are the best practices and tools to do so.
One of the migration options for SAP BW/4HANA is the in-place conversion. This option involves a step-by-step transfer of classical BW objects to HANA optimized objects and then a system conversion to BW/4HANA. This option is suitable for customers who want to keep their existing BW system and transfer it to BW/4HANA system (keeping the SID).
In this blog post, we will provide you with an overview of the in-place conversion process, covering the following topics:
- The prerequisites and requirements for the in-place conversion
- The tools and steps involved in the in-place conversion
- The advantages and disadvantages of the in-place conversion
- The tips and tricks to ensure a smooth and successful in-place conversion
Prerequisites and Requirements for the In-Place Conversion
Before you start the in-place conversion, you need to make sure that your current SAP BW system meets the following prerequisites and requirements:
- Your SAP BW system must be on release 7.5 SP05 powered by SAP HANA, but the latest SP level is recommended.
- Your SAP BW system must have the SAP BW/4HANA Starter Add-on installed. This add-on provides the tools and functionalities for the in-place conversion.
- Your SAP BW system must be compliant with the Simplification List for SAP BW/4HANA. This list describes the differences between SAP BW 7.x and SAP BW/4HANA and the actions that need to be taken to make your system compatible with SAP BW/4HANA.
- Your SAP BW system must have a valid maintenance contract and license for SAP BW/4HANA.
Tools and Steps Involved in the In-Place Conversion
The in-place conversion process consists of two main phases: the prepare phase and the realize phase. The prepare phase involves checking your system for readiness, performing custom code analysis, cleaning up obsolete objects, reducing data volume, and planning your conversion project. The realize phase involves transferring your classical BW objects to HANA optimized objects, converting your system to SAP BW/4HANA, and performing post-conversion tasks.
The following table summarizes the tools and steps involved in each phase of the in-place conversion:
|Prepare||Maintenance Planner||System Requirements||Check your system for release, database, add-on, license, and maintenance requirements|
|Prepare||Simplification Item Check||Pre-Checks||Check your system for compliance with the Simplification List for SAP BW/4HANA|
|Prepare||Custom Code Analyzer||Custom Code Check||Analyze your custom code for compatibility with SAP BW/4HANA|
|Prepare||Data Volume Management Cockpit||Data Volume Reduction||Reduce your data volume by archiving or deleting unused data|
|Prepare||Project Plan Template||Project Planning||Plan your conversion project using a template provided by SAP|
|Realize||Transfer Cockpit||Transfer Objects||Transfer your classical BW objects to HANA optimized objects using guided procedures|
|Realize||Software Update Manager (SUM) with Database Migration Option (DMO)||System Conversion||Convert your system to SAP BW/4HANA using SUM with DMO|
|Realize||Post Conversion Guide||Post Conversion Tasks||Perform post-conversion tasks such as activating transferred objects, adjusting source systems, testing data flows, etc.|
Advantages and Disadvantages of the In-Place Conversion
The in-place conversion has some advantages and disadvantages compared to other migration options for SAP BW/4HANA. Here are some of them:
- You can keep your existing SID, hostname, IP address, etc.
- You can avoid data migration or replication from one system to another
- You can leverage your existing knowledge and experience with SAP BW
- You can use standard tools provided by SAP for the conversion
- You need to upgrade your current system to release 7.5 SP05 powered by SAP HANA before starting the conversion
- You need to install the SAP BW/4HANA Starter Add-on which might introduce some changes or restrictions to your current system
- You need to make your current system compliant with the Simplification List for SAP BW/4HANA which might involve some redesign or rework of your data models and flows
- You need to have a significant downtime for your production system during the conversion
Tips and Tricks to Ensure a Smooth and Successful In-Place Conversion
To ensure a smooth and successful in-place conversion, here are some tips and tricks that you can follow:
- Perform a thorough analysis of your current system using the Simplification Item Check and the Custom Code Analyzer
- Plan your conversion project carefully using the Project Plan Template and the Conversion Guide
- Perform a test conversion in a sandbox or development system before converting your production system
- Follow the best practices and recommendations provided by SAP in the Conversion Guide and the Post Conversion Guide
- Seek help from SAP experts or partners if you encounter any issues or challenges during the conversion
Disclaimer: This content is generated by AI.